Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chess Tournament (continued)

Well, due to the number of us new folks entering the tournament I had to play a match just to enter the actual tournament. Fortunately I came away with a win! So I got to enter into the "official" tournament. However, there's a ranking system, and since I'm new I was ranked at the bottom. The problem with being ranked at the bottom is you play the guy that's ranked at the top (aka the defending champion of the last tournament). Sad to say that tonight I played and lost. I will say this, he was the toughest opponent that I have every played. I saw brilliant strategies, and with every move I felt that he was leading me into a corner. He was an expert at fork (which is when he has two of my guys, and I have to choose which one I will save and which I will let die).

I'm not out of the tournament yet. I'm now in the "losers bracket". I will play whoever loses the next match. Interestingly enough that will either be my supervisor or my subordinate. I'm hoping for my subordinate. I saw him play against the guy that I beat to get in. Granted they were just playing for fun, but he repeatedly got hammered. So if I face him, I should advance onto the next round of the losers bracket.

In the meantime, I will continue to practice my chess playing skills. =)

No comments: